Saturday, July 9, 2011

Hearth tiles laid


Phase one completed. Good thing the tiles are of a "rustic" design. Covers up my amateur install job. So far, so good. Got the backer board attached on the verticle surface. Didn't trust that the thinset would properly adhere to the brick, as the brick has some sort of stain on it. I tried to see if it would come off with some paint stripper, it didn't. So, soon as I figure exactly how I want to lay out the design, I can put up the rest of the tiles and grout it all. Then more wood work to frame it all in.

2 comments:

bev paxman said...

Looks great! Is that an insert or a real fireplace inside?

RickG said...

That's a gas insert we had installed right after we bought the house. The old wood burning insert was old and nothing was up to code.